Physical therapy can also help you recover. In some cases, it is actually one of the most important aspects of rehabilitation. Physical therapists can help treat ankle pain by providing a variety of different tactics. For example, some types of physical therapy can strengthen the muscles around the ankle and improve flexibility. Other types of physical therapy can teach you ways to avoid activities that exacerbate your symptoms.
Physical therapy can include:
- Strengthening exercises: These exercises can be used to improve muscle strength and tone around the ankle.
- Active/passive stretching: These exercises can help increase the range of motion.
- Weight-bearing exercises: These exercises can help strengthen muscles and improve balance.
- Athletic training: These exercises can help improve coordination and agility. A physical therapist can work with you to develop an individualized program.
- Gait training: These exercises can improve balance and coordination in people who are experiencing weakness or severe mobility problems. They can also help decrease the risk of falling.