Early Symptoms & Warning Signs Of Pink Eye [Discover Now]
Pink eye, also known as conjunctivitis, is an inflammation of the conjunctiva. Conjunctiva is a thin membrane that lines your eyelid and covers the white part of the eye. When blood vessels of the conjunctiva become inflamed, they get enlarged which causes the eye to appear red or pinkish.
Pink eye is highly contagious as it spreads very quickly in schools and day cares centers. Fortunately, it’s rarely serious. It’s very rare that it damages your vision. Early treatment is key to quick recovery. Proper measures are required to prevent its spread which can mitigate the chances of long-term complications caused by pink eye.
Pink eye can be irritating as it can cause severe burning and itching. Symptomatic treatments can help decrease the discomfort of pink eye. Early diagnosis and treatment can help limit spread of pink eye.
- The primary types of pink eye on the basis of cause are:
- Viral conjunctivitis. It is caused by a virus, like the common cold. This type of pink eye is highly contagious, but it goes away on its own without any treatment. All you require is to wash your eye with clean water. No treatment is required.
- Bacterial conjunctivitis. It is caused by bacteria. But this type of conjunctivitis can cause serious damage to the eye if treatment is delayed. Antibiotic ointments are required for its treatment.
- Allergic conjunctivitis. It is caused by eye irritants such as pollen, dust and animal dander. Allergic conjunctivitis may be seasonal (pollen) or flare up year-round (dust; pet dander). Allergic conjunctivitis can be treatment with some anti-allergic medicines
During the inflammation of conjunctiva, conjunctival vessels enlarge giving pink or reddish appearance to the eyes. Redness of eye means that your eye infection is still contagious. Practicing good hygiene is important to control the spread of pink eye. Certain measures are:
- Never touch your eyes with your hands.
- You should wash your hands often.
- It is important to use a clean towel daily
- Never share your towels or washcloths with your friends.
- It is inevitable to change your pillowcases often.
- It is advised not to share eye cosmetics or personal eye care items with others.
Conjunctivitis, also known as pink eye, is considered as the most common eye problem that affects all age groups but it is also one of the most common causes of eye. It is important to note that pink eye becomes more symptomatic in the summer season. This occurs as a result of increase in temperature. Raised temperature is ideal for the viral growth. Visit your doctor as soon as possible if you observe any signs of redness in one or both of your eyes.